Monday, December 15, 2008

Welcome to my Blog!


Welcome to my new photography blog. I am a photographer, living in Northern California, and the purpose of this blog will be to share discoveries that I have made about places to capture images, technical issues, and other topics of particular interest to photographers.

I started in college with a 35 mm camera and the use of the college darkroom. After graduating, I maintained my own darkroom while attending law school in Washington, D.C. Eventually, I moved to color film and chromes, using the Nikon F4S, a wonderful camera. The poor quality of commercial labs drove me away from photography because I didn't have the time or space to do black and white work any more. Finally, with the advent of digital photography, I returned to the world of photography in 2003 with the purchase of a Nikon D100. In this way, I could take advantage of all of the Nikon glass I already owned. However, the siren call of the full-sized sensor caused me to leave the ranks of Nikon users in 2003 with the purchase of the Canon 1Ds. I sold most of my Nikon lenses and bought all new Canon L lenses.

Of course, with the release of the Canon 1Ds Mark II it was time to upgrade in 2005. That lasted until Nikon came out with its D3 and the ability to capture images at high ISO with minimal noise. As a result, I am the proud dysfunctional owner of a Canon 1Ds Mark II and a Nikon D3. The good news is that I fit in with just about any shooter and understand the strengths and weaknesses of each of these major camera manufacturers. The bad news is that it is expensive and inefficient. I am inching closer and closer to returning to my Nikon roots. In the meantime, I will continue to attract stares.

Some background so that you can assess my biases. As mentioned above, I use only digital 35mm equipment. I rely predominantly on Lightroom for post-processing of images and I have been a loyal Epson printer since the beginning, having lived through the 1280, 2200, and R2400 (the very first fine art quality inkjet printer in the small format). Now I rely on the wide format printers produced by Epson.

I have been active in juried shows, as well as group and solo exhibits of my photography. I have also had the pleasure of attending a number of photography workshops with the likes of Jay Maisel, Stephen Johnson and Moose Peterson. In future blogs, I will recount my experiences with these instructors, as well as others, so that you might avoid potentially unrewarding experiences. I am very active in a local photography gallery, Viewpoint Photographic Art Center (http://www.viewpointgallery.org/), and through that organization I have had the opportunity to present workshops of my own on Lightroom and on Photoshop techniques for photographers. It is a wonderful organization, comprised of many very talented photographers, including one of Canon's Explorers of Light, Lewis Kemper. I will be participating in a group exhibit at the Viewpoint Gallery in Sacramento in May 2009, entitled "A Sense of Place" and encompassing my Brazilian Amazon prints, Antarctica prints prepared by Larry Brenden and prints from Venice created by Dolores Frank.

Well, that completes my introductory post. I will post each week by Monday morning, so please come by and see the latest. In the meantime, stop by my website and see a sample of my work (http://www.photographybydlr.com/). My most recent work can be viewed at www.photographybydlr.com/GM3.



Next week: Creative Use of the Clarity Slider

No comments:

Post a Comment